There Is No Shortage of Experts and Expert Opionions
It seems the only point of agreement on the subject of weight loss is that it is good for you. In fact Americans spend about $33 billion each year in an attempt to lose weight through various weight loss programs, diet foods and drinks, and other products. There is no shortage of experts and expert opinions, often contradictory. In the confusion, many people end up relying on their own notions and methods, some of them unsafe. Nevertheless the focus should remain on the many health hazards posed by excess weight: cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, and not the least, Type 2 diabetes. Bear in mind too that regardless of your motivation to lose weight, losing too much can cause health problems like depression, muscle atrophy, and gall bladder problems.
Safe and Proven Ways to Lose Weight:
- Watch what you eat, how much you eat, and spend more time in an exercise regimen.
Fresh and uncooked plant foods are highly nutritious and low in calories. Add apples or berries to maximize their beneficial effects.
- You know that foods loaded with fat, calories, and sugar are a big no-no, so stay away from them.
- If you need to cut down on calorie intake, do it gradually. Slow and steady is the safe way to lose weight.
- Substitute more complex carbohydrates (e.g. wholegrain breads, oats, brown rice) for simple carbohydrates which are usually found in foods with fewer nutrients, and tend to be less satisfying and more fattening.Avoid eating when it’s pretty close to your bedtime. The extra calories can’t be burned off and will turn to fat.
- Tote a small notebook around and record everything you eat for at least two weeks. It will be very useful later on when you see your doctor or dietitian.
- If you get too hungry, your metabolism gets sluggish. This makes it tougher to lose more weight.
- There is little disagreement in that reducing your food intake and increasing your physical activity will result in weight loss.
Drink several glasses of water, get some sunshine (early morning is best), and load up on vitamin- and mineral-rich foods and supplements. Providing your body with all these nutrients and hormones helps your body lose weight.
- Taking small meals at frequent intervals during the day is better than a heavy lunch and dinner.
- Use healthy substitutes for fatty sauces such as soy sauce, lime juice, lemon juice, or spices.